Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hot today, chili tomorrow

And boy was it hot! We rode a little over three hundred miles today on roads filled with potholes, trucks and topes (speed bumps). The potholes, I expect, are the result of excessive rain this summer -- the signs are everywhere -- washed out roads, fence lines full of debris. The trucks are obstensibly, moving the wares of commerce and that is a good thing. The topes are a successful method of slowing down traffic. Each village will have topes as you enter and exit their community. Some are small irritating strips of asphalt, some are 9" tall and the bike will fit on top, some are marked, some are not. Like them or not, they slow down traffic. I scrapped my skidplate seven times today on the topes.

We needed to exchange dollars for pesos today so we found a small town with two banks. At the first, the nice teller told me they did not exchange monies. I asked her if they had an ATM machine and showed her my card. She said they had two ATM's but she didn't expect my card would work -- she was right. So, I went to the other bank. The first teller handed me off to another teller. He wanted to see my passport and after 5 minutes of entering information in the computer, he said he needed a photocopy of my passport. I went out to the bike and retrieved a copy. When I gave it to him, he said he needed another copy -- so, back to the bike. When he was finally finished, he handed me off to another teller who concluded the transaction. Took about an hour, not counting the time to get to and from the town which was not on our route. Just another day in Mexico.

I have been remiss in not mentioning a special happening that is taking place. On 7 October, Stacy, Christian and Ashley (our first China doll) left for China to collect our second China doll, Ava Grace. If your interest is picqued, you may follow their activities at: http://www.peacefulpanda.blogspot.com

Tomorrow we move away from the humid/hot coast to some highlands. Hopefully a reprieve from the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment