Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pray for Mexico - The DixieOutlawS have arrived

Got away from Corpus at 0805 - had to stand at attention while the National Anthem was played. Too many rules at the Navy Lodge not to mention Roger was hassled coming on base without a reflective vest. Just enough hassle to remind us why we are glad to be out of some of the Mickey Mouse rules.
170 miles to the border. Took one hour to process both of us and we were the only ones being processed. Normal drill - extra copies of everything including the form the immigration guy just gave us. Cost $24 for the tourist tax, but this time payable at the border. This is one of the easier borders to cross. While Roger was finishing his paper work, I went to the bikes to wait. Two cute customs agents came over to the bikes, and I thinking chick magnet. No they were on business and wanted to know what I had in every bag. Fortunately, they believed me and didn't make me unpack anything. I asked them if I could take their picture next to the bikes. They said it was forbidden. Just remember all this conversation was going on with them speaking no English and with me returning the favor and speaking no Spanish.
Since it is Sunday, the border banks were closed. We decided we would ride until we could find a bank futher down the road for currency exchange.
Made it to San Fernando about 100 miles south of the border. Had to find an ATM since it was time for fuel. Found an ATM in a grocery store. We decided it was time to call it a day since we didn't want to be out at night and we had ridden 275 miles in to a stiff head wind all day.

Found a hotel with a gated wall and decided it was a secure place to stay. While checking in ($44 for the night), I asked Roger if he smelled cannibis burning. He said he did and we could also smell it outside. Later we noticed several cars pull in then leave shortly. Looks like we are staying with the town supplier. Oh well, maybe the owner has protection since he seems to be on the cartel's side.
We rode into town looking for a place to eat, but seemed like all were closed for Sunday. We decided to go grocery shopping. I watched the bikes while Roger did the "shopping."

While waiting with the bikes, a police truck pulled in behind me in a rapid manner. Both doors swung open and two policemen we out of their patrol truck quickly and headed towards me. One was in plain clothes but had Commandante printed on his shirt and a pistol on his hip.

I shook hands with him. Again a bilingual conversation ensued. He asked for my identification, wanted to know where we were going, where we had come from and where we were staying. I got across to him that we were on in transito - see I do know Spanish. The other policemen asked me my friends name. They were all business, I didn't think it appropriate to ask them for a photo op. Guess they had gotten word we were staying at Hotel Hashish.

Roger came out with the poorest excuse for dinner saying there wasn't much pickings to be had. We shared one can of tuna, two kaiser rolls, some baby gouda cheese and some potato chips. All this fine shopping by my friend while I am fending off the Policia.






As normal in Latin America, the hotel staff allows you to part your bikes next to your room - more accomodating than the Navy Lodge at CC






Gary















No comments:

Post a Comment